Re: Tabs v.s. spaces

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:45:52AM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:56:49PM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> | Nevertheless, I find 8-space indentation too wasteful, 4-space
> | indentation too cumbersome to type, and 1-space indentation
> | unreadable.
>
> Your editor should do that for you! :-)

If I can only find an editor that suits my taste... vi is Very Irritating,
and emacs is an Extremely Massive And Cumbersome System.

> e.g. set softtabstop=4 in vim will allow you to have 4-character
> indentation by pressing the tab key and outdentation by pressing
> backspace, but the file will contain spaces instead of tabs.  I would
> be surprised if other editors did not have a similar feature.

Keep in mind that I can't stand vi and hate emacs, so I'm still using a
very old (non-free!) editor. It's not exactly the greatest, but it
irritates me the least.

> Personally I prefer 8-space indentation, though.
[snip]

I find that it is too restrictive, given that I insist on a 79-column
limit on code lines. With 8-space indentation, you run out of nesting
levels really fast, much faster than is possible to do non-trivial coding
in.

The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body. This means
that only left-handed people are in their right mind. -- Manoj Srivastava