Re: Testing/help needed - experimental glibc version

At Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:24:19 -0400,
Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 05:02:56PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le mar 21/10/2003 à 19:03, Daniel Jacobowitz a écrit :
> > > As some of you may have seen, there's a new version of glibc in unstable.
> > > It has a couple of nice features - particularly for x86, where both
> > > i686-optimized libraries and NPTL support are included.  There are also
> > > sparcv9 libraries.  And the packaging has been totally redone for a number
> > > of benefits.
> >
> > Do you intend to make these packages support a system-wide locale
> > setting as explained in bug#214898 ? This is a one-liner change which
> > would bring huge improvement for e.g. gdm or cups. Or do you think it
> > should be discussed further, and/or wait for after sarge?
>
> These packages are to address a particular problem - updating the
> version to support NPTL and TLS, without breaking everyone else.  So in
> this context, no.
>
> In general I don't handle locale-related bugs so you'll have to get a
> response to that bug from one of our other glibc maintainers on
> debian-glibc.

OK, I check it.

> Currently, the default locale setting for the system can be accessed
> only through /etc/environment, which is a configuration file for PAM.
> Setting the locale for a daemon currently requires to parse this file,
> but it is just not the way to go.
>
> If, additionnaly to the /etc/environment stuff, the debconf-selected
> locale was put into /etc/default_locale (a file just containing the
> locale, nothing else), as suggested Ryan Murray, it would make it much
> easier for daemons to set their locale to the system default, without
> relying on an error-prone environment setting.
> Such a file would be necessary to get a correctly localized gdm for
> sarge.
>
> I think it is fairly easy to achieve, and it could even be used later
> (after the sarge release) to set the locale using a specific PAM module,
> instead of using pam_env.

This wishlist needs a bit consideration.

(1) We store locale setting for 2 files - /etc/environment,
    /etc/default_locale.  Is it good idea?

(2) Why do you need to read /etc/default_locale instead of
    /etc/environment?  Is it hard to parse /etc/environment so hard?

(3) I guess gdm issue is the locale dialog in the login screen.  Why
    can't gdm read /etc/environment file?  If you mean it's easier to
    read /etc/default_locale than to parse /etc/environment, yes it
    may become one of the reason.  But does this change fix the gdm
    issue?

Regards,
-- gotom