Testing/help needed - experimental glibc version

As some of you may have seen, there's a new version of glibc in unstable.
It has a couple of nice features - particularly for x86, where both
i686-optimized libraries and NPTL support are included.  There are also
sparcv9 libraries.  And the packaging has been totally redone for a number
of benefits.

However, the packaging was totally redone.  And the glibc version updated
from CVS.  I and others have been running around fixing problems relative to
the version currently in unstable, so most of them have been attended to but
some remain.

Here's the ones I know about:
  Documentation missing from various packages
  pt_chown is missing
  /usr/lib/debug doesn't have some important symlinks
  libc6-dev's dependency on libc6 has vanished
  The locales package has some dependency issues and the SUPPORTED file is
    missing

Also, problems with some non-Debian software have been reported - I believe
Citrix on i386 and a JVM on ia64.

Now, we need to find the problems I _don't_ know about.  I'd like for those
who feel comfortable testing a new glibc - usual caveats about the quality
of experimental software! - to give it a try.  Use it, let us know what
happens.  Don't upload Debian packages to the archive built against it,
obviously - they won't be installable because of the >= 2.3.2.ds1 dependency
in shlibs.  If you have a kernel above 2.4.something, below 2.6, and an
i686, you'll get i686 optimized libraries - er, I don't know if they'll work
on a Via C3, I didn't check :( Probably not.  If you have a kernel at least
2.6.0-test on an i486 or above, you'll get NPTL.

Also, I'd like for porters to build and test this and send debian-glibc
whatever patches were necessary.  HPPA doesn't build yet (hi Carlos); i386,
PowerPC, and S/390 will be in the archive this afternoon; sparc, ia64,
alpha, and arm should be buildable; mips, mipsel, m68k, and whatever else
I'm forgetting about are still up in the air.

Where to get it:
  Experimental after dinstall today.

How to build it:
  You'll need the linux-kernel-headers package.  Get it from
  http://ftp-master.debian.org/~dan/.

  Two ways; either create a fresh chroot and install the build dependencies
there (which will remove libc6-dev temporarily!) or else install all the
build dependencies except linux-kernel-headers, unpack a built
linux-kernel-headers .deb, export LINUX_SOURCE pointing at /usr in the
unpacked linux-kernel-headers tree, and use dpkg-buildpackage -d to ignore
the dependency.

We're counting on your help to get this package in shape (hopefully) for
sarge!

--
Daniel Jacobowitz