Re: how to ask for packages rebuilding

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 12:18:18PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:13:06PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > These all boil down to the same problem: ocaml was upgraded to
> > > ocaml-3.07, while the packages that were available at the time depended
> > > on ocaml-3.06-1. Since that doesn't exist anymore, they'll never become
> > > needs-build again. Under normal circumstances we find such things
> > > ourselves, but since we've got quite some backlog currently...
> >
> > No, not exactly. The problem is that ocaml 3.07 is available, and ocaml
> > 3.06-1 is no more, but the older libraries depended on ocaml 3.06-1,
> > while the rebuilt ones depend on ocaml 3.07. This mean that the
> > libraries need to be rebuilt in build-depend order, not all together, or
> > there will always be build problems. Example with ocaml, lablgl and
> > lablgtk, which i maintain :
>
> The change in ocaml results in a change in ABI. You should increase
> the so-names so to speak. Thats the same problem as the gcc-3.2
> transition or the libc6 transition. Or not?

Well, we have ocaml-abi virtual packages : ocaml-3.06, ocaml-3.06-1,
ocaml-3.07. Each ocaml using package will depend on the correcponding
virtual package, and thus there is no problem.

ocaml is currently not parallel installable like gcc without major
patching which would diverge from upstream too much, and potentially
break every third party ocaml package. We decided to not go into this
until we can come to a common decision on this with upstream. Check the
debian-ocaml-maint mailing list archives for more detail.

> Seems to be a common problem with ocaml so you might want to think
> about something there.

We thought about it, many and much. The solution is not the best one,
but it works, the only real problem are in autobuilder satisfaction, and
in the delay this imposes on the testing migration, which are at
discusion here.

> MfG
>         Goswin
>
> PS: If you give me a list of packages I can run them throught my m68k
> buildd in that order and let you sponsor the uploads.

That i could do, but let's see if in a few days the autobuilders will
not catch up. We have to wait until friday anyway.

Friendly,

Sven Luther