Re: Re: Where are we now? (Was: Bits from the RM)

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:09:29PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:59:58PM -0500, Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> was heard to say:
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:09:16PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > > On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 04:10:21PM -0500, Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> was heard to say:
> > >
> > >   aptitude doesn't depend on any of those.  Do you mean when installing
> > > other packages?  If too much stuff is being pulled in from Recommends,
> > > the package maintainers are using Recommends incorrectly.  I haven't
> > > found this to be a problem in practice.
> >
> > I meant since aptitude defaults to installing suggests by default, there
>
>   Hm, it does.  I thought I fixed that ages ago.
>
>   Just for some background: this wasn't supposed to happen, because
> turning suggests on is a really bad idea, but I apparently accidentally
> set it to "true" in one place in the code and "false" in another place
> and in the documentation.  I thought I fixed this at one point in the
> past, but apparently not.
>
>   What happens is that the default state is actually false, but if
> you go to the preferences dialog, the preferences dialog shows that it's
> selected and selecting "Ok" causes the setting to be changed.

Ah ok, I'm glad I was able to point it out before release. :)

> > Handling all the options were X'd which means selected right? I can't
> > paste it here since aptitude seems to have mouse support so copy/paste
> > doesn't work.
>
>   Just FYI, you can use Shift to override mouse support in programs.

Thanks, I didn't know about that either.

BTW - Is there a way to see what a package provides under its
information screen? It seems to display just about everything else but
that.

Chris Cheney