Re: Re: Where are we now? (Was: Bits from the RM)

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 08:31:08PM +0200, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:14:25PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > Please don't do this yet, since dselect is still more self-documenting,
> > and therefore easier for new people to use.  :-P
>
> please do! dselect (whil ebeing verty simple and functional) has the
> most counter-intuitive user interface i have seen. the day i discovered
> aptitude and got rid of dselect meant a big step forward for my persoanl
> debian experience.

From what I have heard about aptitude it has the fun side effect of
removing packages that it thinks you didn't purposely install. Also
aptitude's sort function was more user unfriendly than dselect by far
(just hit 'o').  I happen to use the sort option in dselect often. If
aptitude can be used as dselect is now, eg hit 'g' to download just
standard it will be ok I suppose.

I also don't think it is a particularly good idea for aptitude to
default to installing suggests since it will likely bloat systems quite
a bit installing various things such as bash-doc, gpart, parted, etc.
Also, it will automatically install packages in non-free (when user has
non-free listed) since packages in main are allowed to suggest non-free.
Further, if recommends/suggests are on how does a user manage to only
install standard using aptitude? Maybe there should but a tasksel option
for just installing standard and above?

I am not against aptitude, or a better package management tool in
general, I just don't like the way aptitude currently "works".

Chris Cheney