Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

martin f krafft wrote:
>also sprach Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2003.09.22.1=
>320 +0200]:
>> It would be inappropriate to do it within a stable release, sure,
>> but it is something that Debian do do in general. In this case
>> it's a chunk of code that has almost nothing to do with the core
>> kernel code - it just so happens that in the pathological case of
>> a kernel patch, there's some awkwardness. That's an indication
>> that our kernel patching system should be rationalised, not that
>> shipping modified kernels is wrong.
>
>First, you should not compare kernel packages to the rest of the
>Debian system. Second, read again what you wrote. Are you kidding
>me?

Why not? It's a package. We modify it as we need to in order to provide
functionality and satisfy the needs of our users. I'm perfectly willing
to bet that more of our users are interested in a functional ipsec stack
than are interested in the grsecurity patch.

>"it's a chunk of code that has almost nothing to do with the core
>kernel code"

In that it can be inserted without modifying behaviour of things that
other parts of the kernel or userland depend upon.

>You don't consider the IP stack to be core? Are you a Windows user?

I'm a Windows user when I'm paid to be, yes. Have you stopped beating
your wife yet?
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org