Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

martin f krafft wrote:
>also sprach Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2003.09.21.1=
>614 +0200]:
>> Should we stop shipping security fixes backported from development
>> code?
>
>It always depends, doesn't it? We are backporting *security* fixes
>to packages, but we take care not to introduce new features. I don't
>oppose some small modifications to the kernel, fixes and security
>backports, but including a 2.5 IPsec stack in 2.4.21 is kinda not in
>accordance with that policy, now is it?

It would be inappropriate to do it within a stable release, sure, but it
is something that Debian do do in general. In this case it's a chunk of
code that has almost nothing to do with the core kernel code - it just
so happens that in the pathological case of a kernel patch, there's some
awkwardness. That's an indication that our kernel patching system should
be rationalised, not that shipping modified kernels is wrong.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org