Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

also sprach Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2003.09.22.1320 +0200]:
> It would be inappropriate to do it within a stable release, sure,
> but it is something that Debian do do in general. In this case
> it's a chunk of code that has almost nothing to do with the core
> kernel code - it just so happens that in the pathological case of
> a kernel patch, there's some awkwardness. That's an indication
> that our kernel patching system should be rationalised, not that
> shipping modified kernels is wrong.

First, you should not compare kernel packages to the rest of the
Debian system. Second, read again what you wrote. Are you kidding
me?

"it's a chunk of code that has almost nothing to do with the core
kernel code"

You don't consider the IP stack to be core? Are you a Windows user?

`. `'`