The size of debian packages

Hello,

Since installing Debian in May the amount of disk space required for my OS
has risen from 1.5GB to 3GB and has reached the limit of the partition.
I don't really want to allocate any more space to the OS as I'm sure there
must be stuff there that I do not need or use (I admit to running dselect
a little to liberally in the past!). How can I find out the sizes of the
packages and try to establish what I can remove without disaster. I tried
using deborphan to do this but it didn't even put a dent in my 100% full
volume.

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Andy