Re: The size of debian packages

Hi!

(This question actually belongs to debian-user, but the heck with it)

Am 2003-09-23 22:34 +0100 schrieb Andrew Lyon:

> How can I find out the sizes of the packages

apt-cache show <packagename> will print a field 'Size: xxx' which
shows the installed size in bytes (IIRC).

For your purpose it may be more comfortable to see this in dselect.
Pressing 'i' twice to switch the description window to the verbose one
will also show the Size: field.

> and try to establish what I can remove without disaster.

That depends on what you want to do with your system. The easiest
approach IMO is to call dselect, walk through your list of installed
packages and remove/purge the ones you don't need. But DON'T remove
Required or Important packages (that would lead to a disaster);
probably you do not want to remove the Standard ones either.

Thus, concentrate on removing optional and extra packages.

> I tried using deborphan to do this but it didn't even put a dent in
> my 100% full volume.

Of course. deborphan only shows libraries that are not needed any
more. But unless you remove some applications, they are likely to be
dependencies of your installed packages, thus cannot be removed.

deborphan is a great tool to remove unneeded library _after_ removing
applications. Just try it again after the dselect cleanup.

Have a nice day,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt