Re: The size of debian packages

(CC'd as I'm not positive you're subscribed to this list)

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 22:34, Andrew Lyon wrote:

> Since installing Debian in May the amount of disk space required for my OS
> has risen from 1.5GB to 3GB and has reached the limit of the partition.
> I don't really want to allocate any more space to the OS as I'm sure there
> must be stuff there that I do not need or use (I admit to running dselect
> a little to liberally in the past!). How can I find out the sizes of the
> packages and try to establish what I can remove without disaster. I tried
> using deborphan to do this but it didn't even put a dent in my 100% full
> volume.

No idea if there's a better way to do this, but this will print the list
of packages installed, from the biggest to the smallest:

sed -n -e '/^Package:/{
s/^Package: *//
}
/^Installed-Size:/{
s/^Installed-Size: *//
s/\n/ /
}' /var/lib/dpkg/status | sort -n -r -k2

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?