Re: (Too?) many TCL versions in the archive

Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at> writes:

> I wonder why we need to have 4(!) (8.0, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4) different
> versions of the TCL programming environment in the archive. Other
> programming languages seem to have transition plans that ensure that
> packages build against the new versions of the language and then drop
> the old versions from the archive after some time. However, there
> still seem to be quite a lot packages that build against TCL 8.0. For
> the sake of minimizing disk and memory footprint for TCL application
> users, the number of TCL version built against should be minimal,
> ideally being 1.
>
> I'd like to hear some opinions from the TCL package maintainers here,
> but I think there should be (wishlist) bugs filed against all packages
> building against tcl8.X-dev, where X < 4.

I have filed several bugs on packages using, not just building against
old versions of tcl, where old means 8.0 or 8.2. I've usually provided a
patch or made sure that using a newer version works. Many packages have
problems with 8.4, but are fine with 8.3, I think it would be reasonable
to limit tcl versions to the last two. It could be worse, I work at a
client that still uses tcl 7.4.