Re: "non-free" software included in contrib

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Mathieu Roy wrote:
<...>
> But now we're discussing about it and I express my opinion: since these
> packages in their postinst script install non-free stuff, I think that
> even if there's no non-free stuff within the packages themselves, the
> result of the installation of these packages (and not their
> dependancies!) is to get non-free stuff. And so, it leads me to the
> conclusion that, whatever the fact that the non-free part is downloaded
> at the same time than the debian package or not, this package itself
> contains non-free stuff.

When your conclusion is at odds with reality you should rethink your
argument... if Debian was to start classifying packages based on
the probable or possible results of using the package, instead of
the code in the package itself, contrib would disappear and a case
could be made to place all editors in non-free because they can be
used to create non-free stuff.

- Bruce