Re: "non-free" software included in contrib

Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> a tapoté :

> Em Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:48:46 +0200, Pierre Machard <pmachard@debian.org> escreveu:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 02:23:40PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > [...]
> > > So I do not agree that "Contrib is a ok place for installers". While
> > > basically these installer are free software, it's a little bit
> > > hypocritical to claim that these package contains free software.
> >
> > From the policy :
> [...]
> > In other words you do not agree with the Debian policy. It's quite
> > amazing since according to :
>
> While I agree with you that contrib is a good place for installers,
> that is not a good reasoning. We did agree to respect the policy,
> and to agree with it on our packaging work, but it does not mean
> it is a holy book we cannot think about changing.

Exactly.

I also contribute to a GNU project and follow every rules of GNU when
doing it. It does not mean that I agree with every words of RMS, it
just mean that I appreciate the GNU project a lot and when I
contribute to it, I accept the rules of the GNU project, even the
rules that I appreciate less.

The same goes for Debian. When doing something for Debian, I follow
the Debian policy. But I still keep my own judgment and keep the right
to express an opinion which may not be conform the policy.

I understand why these installers are in contrib (I said it in my
previous mail, basically they go in contrib as free software dependant
on non-free) according to the policy. If I was about to add such
package in Debian, I would add it, conform to the policy, in contrib.

But now we're discussing about it and I express my opinion: since these
packages in their postinst script install non-free stuff, I think that
even if there's no non-free stuff within the packages themselves, the
result of the installation of these packages (and not their
dependancies!) is to get non-free stuff. And so, it leads me to the
conclusion that, whatever the fact that the non-free part is downloaded
at the same time than the debian package or not, this package itself
contains non-free stuff.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy