Re: "non-free" software included in contrib

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 02:23:40PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
[...]
> So I do not agree that "Contrib is a ok place for installers". While
> basically these installer are free software, it's a little bit
> hypocritical to claim that these package contains free software.

From the policy :

Examples of packages which would be included in contrib or
non-US/contrib are:

    * free packages which require contrib, non-free packages or packages
    which are not in our archive at all for compilation or execution, and

    * wrapper packages or other sorts of free accessories for non-free
    programs.

In other words you do not agree with the Debian policy. It's quite
amazing since according to :

http://nm.debian.org/nmstatus.php?email=yeupou%40gnu.org

You passed the Philosophy and Procedure.

> Finally, someone who install the contrib flashplugin-nonfree get on
> his computer a non-free software, possibly without even noticing it,
> because he never seen a dependancy against a package in non-free.

This is the aim of contrib. In that case do not add contrib in your
sources.lists and apt-get install vrms !

Cheers,
--
                                Pierre Machard
<pmachard@debian.org>                                 http://debian.org