Re: "non-free" installer packages in our supposedly Free sections.

Hi

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 01:13:17PM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:

>   I've noticed there's quite a few almost-empty packages lurking in
>  the archive, whose sole purpose seems to be to download non-free
>  software and install it on a users' systems.
>
>   I don't like the fact that these seem to be (randomly) scattered
>  over main and contrib.  Although the installer packages themselves
>  certainly are Free, I feel the social contract is being violated
>  when I have main and contrib in my sources.list file, but after
>  having completed the installation of a package from these sections,
>  non-free software is installed on my system.
>
>   Here's a quick list of suspected packages:
>
>     vtkdata-installer               optional

Installs example reference data. It could probably stay there.

>     acl-installer                   contrib/devel
>     acl-pro-installer               contrib/devel
>     atokx                           contrib/utils
>     daemontools-installer           contrib/misc
>     djbdns-installer                contrib/net
>     f-prot-installer                contrib/utils

Contrib is a perfectly ok place for installers.

>     flashplugin-nonfree             optional

This is in contrib!

>     hyperspec                       optional

Also in contrib!

>     ibm-jdk1.1-installer            contrib/devel
>     int-fiction-installer           contrib/games
>     lw-per-installer                contrib/devel
>     lw-pro-installer                contrib/devel
>     msttcorefonts                   contrib/graphics
>     nvidia-kernel-src               contrib/x11
>     nvidia-glx-src                  contrib/x11
>     qmailanalog-installer           contrib/mail
>     quake2-data                     contrib/games
>     roxen-ssl                       contrib/web
>     roxen2-ssl                      contrib/web
>     sdic-edict                      contrib/text
>     sdic-gene95                     contrib/text
>     setiathome                      contrib/misc

Contrib is a ok place for installers.

>     realplayer                      net

I can not find this in the archives.

>   I've not verified all of these being such installer packages for
>  non-free software, nor do I claim it to be complete.  Just to give
>  you a rough idea.  Also, they're of different nature -- some install
>  the non-free software from their post-installation scripts, while
>  others install a script in /usr/sbin/ which will do the installation
>  of the non-free software when run.
>
>   I'd like to submit bugs on these, asking them to move to non-free.
>  So consider this email an invitation to discussion before a mass-bug
>  filing.
>
>   If the list agrees that bugs are warranted, which severity should I
>  use?  In my opinion it's a violation of the social contract and thus
>  serious, but I've been recently told I should probably not use my
>  own opinion as a justification for using the RC levels, so mayhaps
>  wishlist would be better?

I can not find any bugs in this list. So please do not fine anyone.

The contrib section is precisely for free software that depends on
non-free (or software outside the archives) to be able to work as
expected.

Regards,

// Ola