Re: libraries being removed from the archive

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:32:57 +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> Hi, Peter Mathiasson wrote:
>
>> "[...] distcc sends the  complete preprocessed source code across the
>> network for each job."
>
> Hmm, OK, but that would just speedup the actual compilation. Granted,
> that's the largest chunk, but cpp/asm/ld could do with a speed-up too.

As a point of information, distcc runs the assembler remotely too (in
this case, on the x86).  cpp's CPU usage is usually negligible, and while
ld can be slow it is often a small fraction of the total time.

Building a cross suite with the excellent Debian toolchain-source package
is easy, and I regularly use that to have several x86 machines help with ia64
builds.

For many packages the biggest problem is actually ./configure, since it is
slow and not parallelizable.

--
Martin