Re: libraries being removed from the archive

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:07:42AM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> So buidd + distcc on a slow m68k/arm/whatever, and distccd on a fast P4 or
> Athlon, or even on several of those. This is expected to reduce the compile
> time to almost the same as it is on x86 :).

I'm not sure that's true; but it would be interesting to know for
sure. Many packages spend a lot of time running tests and generating
documentation. These would still take forever. Also, when using
distcc, the m68k is still responsible for preprocessing source,
assembling compiler output, and linking objects. These operations take
up a nontrivial amount of time on m68k. Plus, the buildd's currently
install every non-essential build dependency before building a
specific package, and remove them after. Running dpkg is slow on m68k,
especially if you're installing a giant chain of build dependencies
like GNOME or KDE.

I'm sure distcc would help though ;).