Re: Binaryless uploads [Was: FTBFS: architecture all packages]

Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 02:21:55PM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> > No, it is based on the assumption that a buildd will only install
> > things listed in the Build-Depends, which means it will catch
> > stuff that only builds on the maintainers workstation because they
> > aren't building inside a chroot and are being sloppy - one of the
> > main things they catch for binary-arch targets, today.
>
> This is (or was) not the case, buildds often have other things
> installed on them other than build-essential.  I have been bitten by
> this in the past. Also, I have a build failure from the arm buildd
> on Aug 21 (kdebase) that smells like it, it couldn't install
> libcupsys2-dev which I bet is caused by gnome related packages being

Then the -dev has to conflict with those. It also might be just a
timeing poblem resulting in a momentary uninstability or just plain
old apts stupidity not having a smart problem resolver.

> installed on the buildd (#203059). Also, I have been told before
> buildds in general have various other packages installed to save on
> install time, however I don't know if this is actually true.

>From my experience the buildd will start with a clean chroot and
compile a bunch of packages in there. For each it adds the
Build-depends before building and removes them after building
(mostly?). After a certain number of runs the chroot is killed and
setup again to prevent dirt from collecting.

Mfg
        Goswin