Re: FTBFS: architecture all packages

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 05:28, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Brian May (bam@debian.org) [030817 07:05]:
> > Is it still a requirement that packages must be able to build
> > from source, even though they do not need to get built from source?
>
> When and escpecially why should that have been changed?
>
> And: usually the packages _are_ built from source if they are for
> architecture: all, at least for all-1 architectures.

You're confusing arch: any and arch: all. arch: all pacakges are rarely,
if ever, rebuilt (and I don't believe they're ever rebuilt
automatically).

However, I agree FTBFS is a serious bug, and usually they're trivial to
fix, too. If they're not... well, it's still a serious bug. Boo the
webmin maintainer for thinking otherwise.

I long for the day when binaryless uploads are mandatory (and this is
coming from someone who's been bitten by FTBFS more than once ).
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>