Re: non-DD contributors and the debian keyring

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:16:47 +0200, Martin Quinson <martin.quinson@tuxfamily.org> said:

> Mmm. If so, I really cannot understand the big deal with IDs when
> signing the key. Knowing my ID is not enough to prove that I won't
> upload a rootkit, and it is not even needed... I must be perticulary
> dumb.

	It is retaliation ;-). If your key has been signed, and
 identity known, we would know where to send the black helicopters.

> Of course, I could (and have) uploaded my key on public servers,
> meaning that other Debian member could check than a given mail with
> my address desserve the trust they habitually give me. But those
> guys would have to configure their email specifically on people like
> me[*]. I was wondering if could be avoided, that's all.

	Umm, my MUA can download the keys from a keyserver all by
 itself, and verify the signature; until needed my trust is given to
 the owner of the key (as I said, the real world id is only needed for
 the pilot of the black helicopter).

	manoj
--
Blessed is he who expects no gratitude, for he shall not be
disappointed. W.C. Bennett