Re: [Proposal] Debconf4 in Brazil

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:11:46PM +1000, Aníbal Monsalve Salazar wrote:

 > > It's likely that DDs can give a talk at FISL and get some
 > > sponsorship that way as well. I already know that the Forum is
 > > interested in bringing Bruce Perens, for instance.
 >
 > IMO, it will be more effective to help DDs from other countries in
 > America (America != US) like Argentina, Colombia, Chile, etc. With
 > the same amount of money, you could bring more DDs from neighboring
 > countries to Porto Alegre than from Europe, Canada or Australia.
 >
 > Also, DDs from neighboring countries have the same currency problems
 > that you have described above and it's really expensive for them to
 > travel overseas.

 I just looked up the price for a normal flight ticket from San Jose,
 Costa Rica to Sao Paulo... ouch.  It starts at US$950 (incl. tax).
 Maybe asking around it can get cheaper, but I didn't expect it to be
 _that_ expensive, esp. if take into account that you can travel from
 SJO to LAX, SFO, MIA and other destinations in southern US for under
 US$400.  And South America (Lima, Santiago) isn't _much_ more expensive
 (US$500-600).  After the initial shock, I looked up FRA <-> POA... ouch
 again.  EUR 1000 and up.  Just for comparison, if booked ahead of time,
 you can get FRA <-> SJO for around EUR 600.

 So, what's the trick?  Any tips on getting to Porto Alegre which have a
 somewhat lower price tag?  How can you get from Sao Paulo to Porto
 Alegre and how much is that?

 Marcelo

 PS: I have asked some people in Costa Rica if they'd be interested in
     organizing DebConf 2004.  They are still figuring the logistics of
     it (housing, venue, ...) and I can't really speak for them.  Maybe
     it works out, maybe it doesn't.  My only real concern would be
     Internet access -- I'm sure Branden can figure out what I'm talking
     about :-)  There's always 2006.