Re: better make a standard for /etc/*/*_not_to_be_run

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:46:26 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
[...]
> It is not broken at all.  Due to the way sysv-rc works, no symlink at all
> means "undefined state".  If you go to a runlevel where something is started
> (It has a S symlink), then back to a runlevel with no symlink, the service
> is left alone (i.e. started).
>
> Likewise, if you go to a runlevel where the service is stopped (K symlink),
> then back to a runlevel where there is no sysmlink, the service is left
> alone (i.e. stopped).
>
> So, deleting a symlink to mean "do not start it" is an operator error. Put a
> K symlink in there if you want the service to not be running on that
> runlevel, OR switch to something less annoyingly error prone, such as
> file-rc.

Well, I must agree. The state is undefined, so it's probably better
to use explicit K links.
Still invoke-rc.d has to decide, and its current decision is inconsistent
with its documentation.
The documented behavior is slightly more convenient but actually I'm not sure
now this convenience is a good thing.
_Documenting_ how to properly disable a service and leaving the undefined
state to be a nuisance could be reasonable after all.

[...]
> So please go on and change that to RC=101.  Please do that in sync with
> file-rc.  Invoke-rc.d for file-rc needs exactly the same change.

If we are going to change the default for the undefined state to stop
the change in querypolicy is definitely better than the patch suggested by me.

--
Michał Politowski -- mpol@charybda.icm.edu.pl
Warning: this is a memetically modified message