Re: better make a standard for /etc/*/*_not_to_be_run

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Micha? Politowski wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:46:26 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> [...]
> > It is not broken at all.  Due to the way sysv-rc works, no symlink at all
> > means "undefined state".  If you go to a runlevel where something is started
> > (It has a S symlink), then back to a runlevel with no symlink, the service
> > is left alone (i.e. started).
> >
> > Likewise, if you go to a runlevel where the service is stopped (K symlink),
> > then back to a runlevel where there is no sysmlink, the service is left
> > alone (i.e. stopped).
> >
> > So, deleting a symlink to mean "do not start it" is an operator error. Put a
> > K symlink in there if you want the service to not be running on that
> > runlevel, OR switch to something less annoyingly error prone, such as
> > file-rc.
>
> Well, I must agree. The state is undefined, so it's probably better
> to use explicit K links.
> Still invoke-rc.d has to decide, and its current decision is inconsistent
> with its documentation.

Well, it can be argued that "invoke-rc.d itself will only pay attention to
the current runlevel, and block any tries  to  start an  init  script  in  a
runlevel it is not configured to be started at."  means either "no S
symlink", or "a K symlink".  The niceties of the sysv-rc system :-)
Powerful, but rather... picky.

As I said before, I'm happy with the RC=101 change.  I didn't do it like
that right away because I didn't want extra opposition at the time.

  Henrique Holschuh