Problems building packages in an NFS mounted directory

Hi!

I am trying to build Debian packages in an NFS mounted directory (an emulated machine running unstable, mounting my home directory over NFS from my real machine, which runs stable[1]). However, I am having serious problems with this.

The first build in a directory seems to go quite well, but if I do a clean and try to rebuild, I get loads of "stale NFS handle" errors, pointing to the .orig directory that dpkg-buildpackage just created. I cannot delete that directory from the emulated machine, either. If I delete the directory from the real machine and try again, I get some interesting "symlink nesting too deep" from inside the "tmp-nest" directory.

The outside machine is running a 2.4.21 kernel, whereas the simulated machine runs 2.4.20.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on how to fix it? Is building over NFS a Bad Idea?

Thanks in advance,
--
\\//
Peter - won't be closing his ITPs tonight, either, it seems

 I do not read or respond to mail with HTML attachments.

[1] Yeah, yeah, I know.