Re: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 04:30:54PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Steve Langasek [Wed, Aug 06 2003, 07:37:16AM]:
> > On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:52:37AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > > #include <hallo.h>
> > > * Colin Watson [Wed, Aug 06 2003, 08:36:25AM]:

> > > This OTOH may be dangerous, another packages that really rely on a
> > > working /usr/sbin/sendmail must be able to depend on
> > > mail-transport-agent and get one.

> > Of course it's dangerous; overriding dependencies with the use of equivs
> > is always a little sketchy.  But if you're this concerned about not
> > having an MTA installed on your system (there are many choices in
> > Debian, some of them quite lightweight), you must have a reason, right?

>  a) It is not for me
>  b) I did not tell to override _real_ dependencies. It is a virtuall
>     package with only one purpose and to be installed by users with
>     special wishes.
>  c) Having an MTA for other packages or not is not the point of the
>     discussion. It is allowing _few_ users to work around a dependency
>     which makes sence for everybody else, but is not really useful for
>     _those_ few users in their special environment.

> PS: a hot day or what? People feel a need to add sth. to the thread
> without understanding the issue.

You tell me.  Why is it so important to *prevent* the installation of an
MTA on such a machine when installing mutt?

99% of our users are going to want to send outgoing mail from their
mailreader.  A package that contains multiple binaries must depend on
every library those binaries link against, even if a particular library
is only needed by one seldom-used application to provide functionality
that a small fraction of users would consider useful.  If that's a
dependency, why would an MTA not be a dependency?  At the packaging
level, the two situations are analogous: in both cases, the packages are
usable for /some/ activities without the dependency in question.

Why is "I don't /really/ want my MUA to be able to send mail" a more
sensible position than "I don't /really/ want atd to notify me about job
status"?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer