Re: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?

#include <hallo.h>
* Steve Langasek [Wed, Aug 06 2003, 07:37:16AM]:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:52:37AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > #include <hallo.h>
> > * Colin Watson [Wed, Aug 06 2003, 08:36:25AM]:

> > > There's no point; it's just as easy to create a fake package that
> > > provides mail-transport-agent with equivs. Or they could install
> > > something tiny like nullmailer or ssmtp and leave it at that.
>
> > This OTOH may be dangerous, another packages that really rely on a
> > working /usr/sbin/sendmail must be able to depend on
> > mail-transport-agent and get one.
>
> Of course it's dangerous; overriding dependencies with the use of equivs
> is always a little sketchy.  But if you're this concerned about not
> having an MTA installed on your system (there are many choices in
> Debian, some of them quite lightweight), you must have a reason, right?

 a) It is not for me
 b) I did not tell to override _real_ dependencies. It is a virtuall
    package with only one purpose and to be installed by users with
    special wishes.
 c) Having an MTA for other packages or not is not the point of the
    discussion. It is allowing _few_ users to work around a dependency
    which makes sence for everybody else, but is not really useful for
    _those_ few users in their special environment.

MfG,
Eduard.

PS: a hot day or what? People feel a need to add sth. to the thread
without understanding the issue.
--
Gegenwärtiges Unglück verdau ich in wenig(en) Stunden; aber künftiges
bleibt mir im Magen liegen.