Re: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?

#include <hallo.h>
* Bernhard R. Link [Wed, Aug 06 2003, 03:03:07PM]:
> * Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> [030806 13:43]:
> > On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:10:03 +0200
> > "Bernhard R. Link" <blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> > > If mutt spoke SMTP, it would be a MTA itself. (Perhaps still missing
> > > the proper interface to link /usr/lib/sendmail to mutt, but that would
> > > be the lesser part).
> >
> >     No, it would not.  It would be using another method of accessing an MTA.
> > Just because Mozilla speaks HTTP, HTTPS and FTP doesn't make it a web server,
> > a secure web server and an ftp server.
>
> Perhaps we disagree what MTA means. I consider for example ssmpt to be a
> MTA. (And judging from the package-description, it's maintainer seems
> to believe the same). In other words I demand beeing able so send a mail
> somewhere. (Which includes speaking SMTP, if one wants to reach
> arbitrary hosts).

But your statement was wrong, please reread it. MTA term (for my judgement)
implies some program which emulates the sendmail command to send Email
(and mutt does not, AFAIK, even if it can accept mail body from stdin)
to other hosts and to local users, while the local part of the transport
may also be implemented on the smarthost, eg. sharing /var/mail
directory and the user database some other system which also acts as the
ssmtp's smarthost.

MfG,
Eduard.
--
Ernährungstip: Spinat schmeckt am besten, wenn man ihn
kurz vor dem Verzehr durch ein Steak ersetzt.