Re: [PROPOSAL] Debian Release Plan

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:06:39PM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > [...]
> > It  does  not matter  to  know  in which  version  the  bug will  be
> > fixed. What I want  for sarge is emacs21 ( >= 21.2  ) so if every RC
> > bugs are closed with 21.3 or 21.4, the dependency >=21.2 is ok.
>
> And what if the version in testing has an RC bug?
> "release-status-sarge" says everything is OK.

You are  rigth. I thought we  can fill a RC  bug "to early  for a stable
release" but you are right, if one  of the version we want is in testing
and we are OK for a release, yes, the monitor will be wrong!

> > What I  think is interresting with  my proposal is  that the release
> > happens when packages we want for the next stable release are ready,
> > stable.
>
> I am saying that the reality  of the situation is more complex than is
> accounted for in this approach.

Isn't it a beginning?

> > Don't you agree with a way of monitoring the steps to be done to the
> > next stable release?
> >
> > Maybe you exactly know where Debian goes and what we are waiting for
> > (yes I saw the mails about gnome2, kde3, gcc3.3, etc...)? I do not.
>
> I  do not think  that version  number milestones  are important  for a
> release.   I   think  that  having   a  well-integrated,  high-quality
> distribution is  important for  a release, and  this is not  so easily
> monitored.

I agree. Anybody to try another proposal? ;)

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.