Re: [PROPOSAL] Debian Release Plan

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:50:15PM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
[...]
> > If there are RC bugs to packages that 'release-status-sarge' depends
> > on, it won't go to testing...
>
> Of course  it would, unless it  had a versioned  dependency that could
> not be met.  And how would you  know in which version the bug would be
> fixed?

'release-status-sarge' is just a package  to monitor the work to be done
to have a stable release.

It does not matter to know in  which version the bug will be fixed. What
I want for sarge  is emacs21 ( >= 21.2 ) so if  every RC bugs are closed
with 21.3 or 21.4, the dependency >=21.2 is ok.

I think  I do not  understand what you  mean or I  do not see  where the
problem is.

What  I think  is  interresting with  my  proposal is  that the  release
happens when  packages we  want for the  next stable release  are ready,
stable.

The existance of  this package in testing does not  mean the next stable
release must  come out as soon as  possible, but it's a  monitor, it can
give important  informations on what have  to be done to  reach the next
stable release.

I think  about this proposal just  after the first mail  of Adrian Bunk,
but I think I did not think enough :(

Don't you  agree with a way  of monitoring the  steps to be done  to the
next stable release?

Maybe you  exactly know where  Debian goes and  what we are  waiting for
(yes I saw the mails about gnome2, kde3, gcc3.3, etc...)? I do not.

Best regards,

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.