Re: [PROPOSAL] Debian Release Plan

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:06:39PM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:50:15PM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> [...]
> > > If there are RC bugs to packages that 'release-status-sarge' depends
> > > on, it won't go to testing...
> >
> > Of course  it would, unless it  had a versioned  dependency that could
> > not be met.  And how would you  know in which version the bug would be
> > fixed?
>
> 'release-status-sarge' is just a package  to monitor the work to be done
> to have a stable release.
>
> It does not matter to know in  which version the bug will be fixed. What
> I want for sarge  is emacs21 ( >= 21.2 ) so if  every RC bugs are closed
> with 21.3 or 21.4, the dependency >=21.2 is ok.

And what if the version in testing has an RC bug?  "release-status-sarge"
says everything is OK.

> What  I think  is  interresting with  my  proposal is  that the  release
> happens when  packages we  want for the  next stable release  are ready,
> stable.

I am saying that the reality of the situation is more complex than is
accounted for in this approach.

> Don't you  agree with a way  of monitoring the  steps to be done  to the
> next stable release?
>
> Maybe you  exactly know where  Debian goes and  what we are  waiting for
> (yes I saw the mails about gnome2, kde3, gcc3.3, etc...)? I do not.

I do not think that version number milestones are important for a release.
I think that having a well-integrated, high-quality distribution is
important for a release, and this is not so easily monitored.

--
 - mdz