Re: proposal: per-user temporary directories on by default?

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 02:52:48PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de> wrote:
> > If you default to ~/tmp/   or ~/.temp/   or something like this, you get the
> > hashing for free, and you only need quota on the home partition.
>
> It was pointed out already that this is not necessarily a good idea,
> e.g.  when /home is on NFS.

When /home is on NFS, then ~/tmp is not optimal, but it's still a
reasonable and secure default.

> Additionally you cannot run tmpreaper on
> ~/tmp/ without starting a big information campain, "everthing under ~/
> was always sacred."
>              cu andreas

If you turn on quotas on /home then there's less need to run
tmpreaper. (Less need to run as root, anyway - perhaps a user
will find it a convenient tool to clean up ~/tmp)

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig@rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal