Re: proposal: per-user temporary directories on by default?

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 02:52:48PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> It was pointed out already that this is not necessarily a good idea,
> e.g.  when /home is on NFS. Additionally you cannot run tmpreaper on
> ~/tmp/ without starting a big information campain, "everthing under ~/
> was always sacred."

I put all my "important files without a better spot" under ~/tmp.

Actually maybe running tmpreaper on this directory would be a good idea
;-), although I don't dare risk it.

The fact remains though that I use /tmp/bam and /home/bam/tmp for
different purposes.

The point about /home being NFS is an important one, some programs don't
function properly with /tmp being NFS.

(then again, some programs debian/stable don't cope with NFS on /home
either, but thats a topic for another thread, most noteably Gnome IIRC).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>