Re: proposal: per-user temporary directories on by default?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 02:50:05PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> Please don't. Is there *any* reason why defaulting
> TMPDIR=/tmp/<username> is inferior to TMPDIR=/tmp?

Systems with large numbers of users (and normally use, for example
/home/u/username), and filesystem which doesn't like large numbers of
entries quickly might have performance problems.

And then there's the issue of making *really sure* that /tmp/username
always exists and has the correct permissions, otherwise this would be
worse, because once we do this, people will probably stop caring about
creating temporary files securely.

Dwayne C. Litzenberger <dlitz@dlitz.net>

The attachment is an OpenPGP (PGP/MIME) signature, which can be used to verify
the authenticity of this message.  See the message headers for more information.