Re: proposal: per-user temporary directories on by default?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 02:50:05PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> Please don't. Is there *any* reason why defaulting
> TMPDIR=/tmp/<username> is inferior to TMPDIR=/tmp?

Systems with large numbers of users (and normally use, for example
/home/u/username), and filesystem which doesn't like large numbers of
entries quickly might have performance problems.

And then there's the issue of making *really sure* that /tmp/username
always exists and has the correct permissions, otherwise this would be
worse, because once we do this, people will probably stop caring about
creating temporary files securely.

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <dlitz@dlitz.net>

The attachment is an OpenPGP (PGP/MIME) signature, which can be used to verify
the authenticity of this message.  See the message headers for more information.