Re: proposal: per-user temporary directories on by default?

(Sorry for the dup, Dwayne, meant to send this to the list.)

On 24-Jul-03, 17:56 (CDT), "Dwayne C. Litzenberger" <dlitz@dlitz.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 02:50:05PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Please don't. Is there *any* reason why defaulting
> > TMPDIR=/tmp/<username> is inferior to TMPDIR=/tmp?
>
> Systems with large numbers of users (and normally use, for example
> /home/u/username), and filesystem which doesn't like large numbers of
> entries quickly might have performance problems.

In which case, having all the files in /tmp is likely to be worse.

Look, we're talking about defaults here. Defaults are not suitable for
all situations, but simply the best average choice. Very large (and
very small) systems will always have to make adjustments to suit their
particular needs. It's part of the deal of running a large system. But
for the majority of Debian users, we should pick the best option and not
bother them about it.

Or, for all I care, we can default to /tmp/u/username. Just don't bother
me about it.

> And then there's the issue of making *really sure* that /tmp/username
> always exists and has the correct permissions,

Please follow along. We're talking about automating this in a PAM, which
would create the directory and set TMPDIR.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net