Re: default MTA for sarge

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:21:55 +0200
Josip Rodin <joy@srce.hr> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:50:25PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > postfix has a lot of good features, it's extremely well written, very easy
> > to configure, fast and secure...whereas the best you can say for exim is
> > that it is smail done right, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement,
> > it's still just an smail clone.
>
> Having said that, I don't like exim4-config-induced splitting of
> configuration into a gazillion little files. It adds a layer of abstraction
> that's annoying and for the most part needless.

I agree wholeheartedly.

On the other hand, though, it likely makes the debconf configuration
stuff significantly easier to implement. For my first exim4 config, I
used the debconf-generated /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated, copied
it to /etc/exim4/exim4.conf, and they blew away /etc/exim4/conf.d (or
whatever) with extreme prejudice.

So perhaps a necessary (or at least warranted) evil? :)