Re: default MTA for sarge

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 06:54:16PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2003 18:39, Dr. Freshmaker wrote:
> >
> > * Guru-class users who actually care.  For them, it would be trivial to
> > [...]
>
> there's a subclass here that is important however.
>
> *MANY* admins have used Debian for years.  We know exim inside and out.  If I
> sit down at a Debian machine I expect to find exim there.  When doing rapid
> installs I do not have to bother switching out the MTA.
>
> I think this is one of the most compelling reasons.  Things that are the
> default are what many, many people learn.  Changing that default causes some
> level of pain and work.

that's actually the main reason i care what the default MTA is(*).

IMO, a world where debian users are used to and expect postfix is better than a
world where debian users are used to and expect exim.

postfix has a lot of good features, it's extremely well written, very easy to
configure, fast and secure...whereas the best you can say for exim is that it
is smail done right, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement, it's still
just an smail clone.  it would have been a great thing to have in the early to
mid 90s before anything better was available.

> As you said, postfix while cool and all is not that much better to warrant
> the change.

a change is happening anyway, from exim3 to exim4.  so now is a good time to
change to something better.

craig

(*) another (relatively minor) reason is the recent annoyance with 2 of the
exim4 packages (exim4-base and exim4-config, IIRC) being installed by "apt-get
dist-upgrade" or "apt-get dselect-upgrade" even though postfix was already
installed.

the fix was to go into dselect and explicitly tag them for removal.  having to
do that on several dozen machines recently was quite annoying.