Re: default MTA for sarge

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:50:25PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> postfix has a lot of good features, it's extremely well written, very easy
> to configure, fast and secure...whereas the best you can say for exim is
> that it is smail done right, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement,
> it's still just an smail clone.

Perhaps the best _you_ can say for Exim. I would say that Postfix's
granulated, Unixish structure certainly makes it leaner and less prone to
security bugs, but it also means that its configuration and documentation is
much less obviously structured than Exim's (particularly with exim 4.x which
does away with the router/director distinction and introduces ACLs for each
step of the SMTP dialogue). IMO and IME, this kind of thing is as important
as anything Postfix offers when it comes to choosing what gets put onto
newbies' systems.

So, I concur with the reasoning:

> > Postfix while cool and all is not that much better to warrant the change.

Having said that, I don't like exim4-config-induced splitting of
configuration into a gazillion little files. It adds a layer of abstraction
that's annoying and for the most part needless.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.