Re: default MTA for sarge

* Craig Sanders (cas@taz.net.au) [030715 01:50]:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:20:48AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > postfix has less features than exim4, at least for me. I couldn't do
> > my current setup with postfix.

> i find that very hard to believe.  perhaps you haven't read the documentation
> thoroughly.

I certainly have.

> what is it that you need to do that postfix is unable to do?  (this is a
> serious question, btw, not rhetorical).

I want different virtual files for different domains, multiple aliases
files for local domains and be able to pipe directly for addresses in
virtual domains[1]. I searched a while at the time I was deciding between
exim4 and postfix, I remember that the "does not work" is documented,
and found now with short browsing that the last is not done by purpose
for security reasons (see
http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#virtual_command , but I want exactly
to avoid this duplication).

[1] I have a flat file, consisting of "name\tparameters", and could
quite easy mass-create with exim4 adresses like name-list,
name-archiv, name-gate for my mail2news/news2mail-gateway without
duplicating or creating anything else except the file that also exists
for my perl-script. I use code like this:
lists:
  debug_print = "R: lists $local_part$local_part_suffix@$domain"
  driver = redirect
  domains = mydomain.invalid
  local_part_suffix=-list
  local_parts = lsearch;/etc/mail/listen
  data = $local_part-archiv@$domain,$local_part-gate@$domain
(or pipe_transport = ... and data = "| /path/to/mail2news-script $local_part)

> i'll bet that whatever it is can be found in the documentation, or someone on

Yes. The "won't do" is documented, see above.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/