Re: default MTA for sarge

Op ma 14-07-2003, om 08:49 schreef Craig Sanders:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:31:51AM +0200, Joey Hess wrote:
> > For sarge we have two options for the default MTA in base:
> >
> > a. replace exim with exim4
> > b. no MTA installed by default, add a MTA task
>
> why not:
>
> c) replace exim with postfix?

Why? Do you have any compelling reasons against exim?

Debian has been installing exim by default for quite a while now, and it
works well enough for most people[1]; and for those people for which it
does not work well enough, it's easy enough to install another MTA --
we're not FreeBSD[2] ;-)

I see no reason to change that, although exim4 as opposed to exim3 would
be a good thing, of course.

[1] as in "for most people, the choice of MTA doesn't really matter, and
exim is quite flexible"
[2] I have nothing against FreeBSD (in fact, my coworker is a FreeBSD
developer), but their procedure to switch MTA's could have been made a
little easier.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a