Re: mplayer

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:09:21AM -0700, David Nusinow wrote:
> > Christian Marillat has had Debian packages for stable and unstable for
> > quite some time now.
> >
> > http://marillat.free.fr/  For more information.
> But he refuses to officially support them, and I can't say I blame him.
> Getting mplayer in to Debian is more a political problem than anything,
> as both groups have managed to totally alienate each other fairly
> recently. The trick will be to find a maintainer who's willing to step
> in to that line of fire.

Since I'm pretty new to Debian development I wouldn't be worried about
stepping into that line of fire.

But the central problem with packaging a generic mplayer means that most
of the bells and whistles have to be enabled, and the features that
people use mplayer chiefly for are non-free Windows Media/QuickTime
support. And it's not heavily optimized for your architecture, which in
the case of this application probably makes a significant difference, at
least more so than following this philosophy for other programs.

If there were a mplayer in Debian I doubt I would use it because of the
inflexibility it provides.

For example, I don't use the Debian sylpheed-claws package becauseevery
single useless plugin is enabled, and I don't need 80% of the enabled
features. Also, the release cycle is very fast, and I'm keeping track of
a bug that is neither fixed upstream or in Debian...so I use the CVS
sources and build regularly from them.

"Notice that, written there, rather legibly, in the Baroque style common
to New York subway wall writers, was, uhm... was the old familiar
suggestion. And rather beautifully illustrated, as well..."

       -- Art Garfunkel on the inspiration for "A Poem On The Underground Wall"