Re: default MTA for sarge

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:06:59 +0200
Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
> Sorry, I just can't follow. The config of exim4 is for default cases
> very very easy (all you have to do is answer the questions at
> installation time). You don't have to take a look at /etc/exim4/conf.d
> for any standard case.

    Actually, I have to disagree.  I recently installed exim4 so I could take
advantage of sa-exim.  When I installed exim4 it went through the motions of
asking me my configuration but did not actually substitute the answers from
debconf into the conf.d files.  I ended up whatever the configuration files
had last and had to go back and hand edit them all to get it to work.  he
worst part was that I hadn't realized it wasn't working since for some reason
it was accepting outside mail but would only deliver locally.

    Be that as it may I didn't find conf.d daunting after I ripped the debconf
mess out.  It looked very much like the exim3 configuration file, just in
different files and following the standard we've seen in the rc.* directories.
I got sa-exim working in short order and was back to where I was with exim3 in
about half-an-hour.

    Anyway, just a random datapoint and not a basis for what should be in
sarge.