Re: default MTA for sarge

* David Nusinow (dnusinow@sbcglobal.net) [030714 13:35]:
> As someone who just spent a week wrestling with both exim4 and postfix,
> I'd have to second this and go with postfix. The thing that bothers me
> about exim4 is that looking in /etc/exim4/conf.d is kind of
> frightening. I understand that it's very powerful, but editing the
> thing is rather frightening. postfix's defaults seemed relatively easy
> to edit, while the complexity of exim4 made things difficult.

Sorry, I just can't follow. The config of exim4 is for default cases
very very easy (all you have to do is answer the questions at
installation time). You don't have to take a look at /etc/exim4/conf.d
for any standard case. However, if you're doing something advanced you
will have to look at the documentation in any case. And the exim4
package gives you the free choice: You can put a single file in
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf (perhaps starting with the autogenerated file),
you can use the /etc/exim4/conf.d-setup for best convinience, and you
can make your own brew with a custom exim4-config-package. All you
have to do is look into the README.Debian-file of exim4, and that's
not too much.

As to /etc/exim4/conf.d: Adding own stuff is very easy, and you don't
break the configuration scripts with adding something else, and the
scripts won't break your config at future updates.

> Granted, I could have gone the alternate route of forgoing
> debconf-based defaults, but I don't trust my skills that much, and
> quite frankly, the exim manual is a hell of a lot more difficult to
> parse and deal with than the simple postfix one.

You don't have to even read the manual for default cases.

> Unfortunately, neither install worked well enough to enable me to set
> up a desktop that routed all non-local mail to a smarthost (an
> incredibly common configuration) so the people who are in the most need
> for good automatic configuration in the default MTA aren't being served
> by either package.

Sorry, you're wrong. exim4 gives the selection "smarthost" for this,
and it just works.

Cheers,
Andi
--