Re: default MTA for sarge

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:31:51AM +0200, Joey Hess wrote:
> For sarge we have two options for the default MTA in base:
>
> a. replace exim with exim4
> b. no MTA installed by default, add a MTA task

There's still Exim 3. I agree that having to switch to a text-only program
rather than another instance of debconf is visually unappealing and likely
hindering for automated installations, and that it is software that's dead
upstream, but Exim 3's exim.conf files are reasonably well done, it's not
hard to keep pressing enters for newbies, and the whole process and
documentation are obviously better tested than with the new Exim.

Which isn't to say that Exim 4 can't improve to become perfectly suitable,
or that e.g. Postfix can't improve to become perfectly suitable[1], but
there's no reason to make these decisions months before the release even
looks near.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.

[1] exim's info documentation is much easier for newbies to search, for one.