Re: default MTA for sarge

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 04:49:11PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:31:51AM +0200, Joey Hess wrote:
> > For sarge we have two options for the default MTA in base:
> >
> > a. replace exim with exim4
> > b. no MTA installed by default, add a MTA task
>
> why not:
>
> c) replace exim with postfix?
As someone who just spent a week wrestling with both exim4 and postfix,
I'd have to second this and go with postfix. The thing that bothers me
about exim4 is that looking in /etc/exim4/conf.d is kind of
frightening. I understand that it's very powerful, but editing the
thing is rather frightening. postfix's defaults seemed relatively easy
to edit, while the complexity of exim4 made things difficult.

Granted, I could have gone the alternate route of forgoing
debconf-based defaults, but I don't trust my skills that much, and
quite frankly, the exim manual is a hell of a lot more difficult to
parse and deal with than the simple postfix one. The only problem here
is that a lot of postfix's docs are in the files themselves, rather
than in the manual.

Unfortunately, neither install worked well enough to enable me to set
up a desktop that routed all non-local mail to a smarthost (an
incredibly common configuration) so the people who are in the most need
for good automatic configuration in the default MTA aren't being served
by either package.

 - David Nusinow