Re: Why doesn't libsidplay enter testing?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 12:50:50PM +0200, Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>>  Yes, I've read the testing page with the FAQ and both the
>> testing_excuses and testing_output, but I can't see the reason why
>> libsidplay doesn't enter testing.
>
> I've written a little script that tries to answer precisely this type of
> question. You can run it here: http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/

 Thanks for the great script.  It shows me that the testing script seems
 to be buggy, because:

>   - Updating sidplay-base makes 1 packages uninstallable on alpha: sidplay-base

 Uhm, that is somehow nonsense. How can an update of a package make
itself uninstallable? What's the reasoning behind it?

>   - Updating xmms-sid makes 1 packages uninstallable on alpha: xmms-sid
>   - Updating xsidplay makes 1 packages uninstallable on alpha: xsidplay
>
> The packages are waiting for each other, so none of them can go in. It looks
> like a nudge by a maintainer is required.

 From the texting I would interpret this as they are waiting for
_themselfes_, not for the others.

 What nudge by a maintainer are you talking about? Especially, which
maintainer (testing-maintainer?)

> Platforms are tested in alphabetical order, and only the first that
> breaks is displayed.

 Thanks, that explains a lot.  But it still doesn't explain why the
package holds back itself...  Is this a bug in the testing script? From
what I understand the testing script should be able to see such circular
dependencies -- but a dependency that breaks itself seems to be weird.

 Have fun,
Alfie
--
alfie@sil.at                                                www.sil.at