Re: Why doesn't libsidplay enter testing?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 01:21:53PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 12:50:50PM +0200, Bj?rn Stenberg wrote:
> > Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >>  Yes, I've read the testing page with the FAQ and both the
> >> testing_excuses and testing_output, but I can't see the reason why
> >> libsidplay doesn't enter testing.
> >
> > I've written a little script that tries to answer precisely this type of
> > question. You can run it here: http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/
>
>  Thanks for the great script.  It shows me that the testing script seems
>  to be buggy, because:

Not really. See my earlier mail.

> >   - Updating sidplay-base makes 1 packages uninstallable on alpha: sidplay-base
>
>  Uhm, that is somehow nonsense. How can an update of a package make
> itself uninstallable? What's the reasoning behind it?

That should be obvious: if sidplay-base is upgraded *by itself* in
testing, then it will itself be uninstallable in testing. (libsidplay
needs to go in at the same time, and doing such simultaneous source
package upgrades generally requires action by the RM or somebody else
who can mess with update_out.py directly. This sort of thing happens
when library package names change.)

Cheers,