Re: Debian menu system update

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 17:26, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 05:12:22PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 12:52, Bill Allombert wrote:
> >
> > Of course the MIME issue is also a lot uglier than the menu system; not
> > only do different versions of GNU/Linux use different mime systems (I
> > believe), multiple applications *inside* Debian have their own MIME
> > system, like e.g. Mozilla.  So really fixing this issue will require
>
> I believe Mozilla handle mailcap fine.

That might be true now, I again haven't looked into the issue
recently...

> > I think the first logical step would just be to get our menu system to
> > parse .desktop files.
>
> Let suppose it is done. What next ?

The next step after parsing is to try to actually convert them into
working Debian menu system entries.  This involves defining a mapping
from freedesktop.org categories to our menu system hints, and other
things like the TryExec to a package.  I think someone was already
working on this part actually, but I can't seem to find his post to this
thread.

This mapping will later help us define the reverse mapping: from the
Debian menu entries to known .desktop categories and fields.  This
mapping will be a part of the major step of converting from the Debian
menu system to the freedesktop one.

Probably what we will have to do is use *both* menu systems for a
transitional period, while we convert the old menu-methods.