Re: Debian menu system update

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 12:52, Bill Allombert wrote:

> Do you plan to implement the shared MIME-info Database specification
> from freedesktop.org and provides a replacement for mime-support
> and update-mime ?

I haven't personally investigated the MIME issue in depth yet, but it
seems to me that it's a mostly orthogonal issue to transitioning our
menu system.

Of course the MIME issue is also a lot uglier than the menu system; not
only do different versions of GNU/Linux use different mime systems (I
believe), multiple applications *inside* Debian have their own MIME
system, like e.g. Mozilla.  So really fixing this issue will require
getting a bunch of upstreams to adopt the system, in contrast to fixing
the menu system, where we don't necessarily need to send the changes
upstream (although with the freedesktop system we can and should).

> That would be the next logical step.

I think the first logical step would just be to get our menu system to
parse .desktop files.